Sunday, August 22, 2010

Hey, That's What I Said!!

David is a talker.  I have never really experienced a little boy of his age talk as much as he does.  He is constantly making noise.  His gibberish is beginning to make more sense as he lands on the English language.  I can not even begin to figure out how many words he knows.  And he strings them together in sentences that mostly make sense.

As all burgeoning speakers do, he has begun copying all of us.  They kids think this is great so far.  The get him to say lines from movies, parts of songs, and tell them they are great.  As he’s leaving the room they have him saying “Peace out”.   He talks about superheros, video games, and says “Joe Jonas- ooooOOOOooo”.

He has also copied a few of the mean sayings they say to each other.  They have been hearing their own mean words echoed back at them, and as Isaac says, “That’s just not cool!”  He has this squeal that rivals the one Faith always did when we called her the pterodactyl baby.  For some reason Andy can not remember anyone else screaming like that.  Not sure why, because just thinking about it hurts my ears and causes my eye to twitch.

It is funny when he says “Hey Daddy honey!” because I call Andy honey, or when he sings the hippopotamus song.  He also sings Davey, Davey that they learned in Children’s Church.  He has begun to echo our prayers, and just the other night he began asking for David’s Bible at bedtime.

Today, however, he busted into the bathroom while I was in the shower saying “Mommy, mommy, mommy, mommy, moooommy, mommmy, mom. Look at me.” I poked my head out of the shower and he said “Wash your hair. Use sumpoo.” Which should tell you about how often I have to remind my highly distracted ones to actually wash while in the shower.

All of this makes me pray hard about the legacy I am leaving.  I want my children to remember to wash their hair, but more than that I want them to remember to pray.  To read the Bible.  To sing songs of praise to our Father.  I start to worry about balance.  Are we allowing them to grow, develop what they like and dislike, while planting a love for things of God in their hearts?  It is fine to have Jonas on your MP3 player, but that is not all I want filling their hearts.  They love playing and watching Star Wars, but are they equally in love with the heros of God?  Any little glimmer of hearts that are being molded after God gives me great joy.  They brought me Cd’s to put on their MP3 players, each child had several Christian bands and some praise music.  I gave David a movie choice at nap time.  He choose Praise Baby over Spider-man and Scooby Doo.  As I passed the girls room last night, Angel was reading Faith a bedtime story.  From a devotional Bible.  Wrapped up in softie, tuck inside Isaac’s pillow case is his camp Bible.  He wants to keep it close to his heart, so he stuck it with softie.

And most of the time, even though we all have bad moments and even bad days, I love that David is beginning to emulate the kids and Andy.  They all have hearts after God and are trying to walk in the light of His love daily. What better example could he have?

No comments:

Post a Comment