Monday, August 9, 2010

Joseph's Journey

We just finished up Vacation Bible School.  It was wonderful.  We did Group’s Holy Land Adventure- Joesph’s Journey from Prison to Palace.  We spent the tail end of July creating an ancient Egyptian marketplace, a prison, a palace, and a huge paper mache sarcophagus.  I absolutely adore VBS!  It is a great time to do children’s ministry in a big, big way. Here are some of my favorite highlights of VBS 2010.

The boat wreck!  Now, if you are thinking that in Joseph’s story you can’t seem to remember a boat wreck, you are right.  A truck pulling a boat took a turn too fast and lost it’s boat as we were doing the closing program.  There were firefighters either helping at VBS or there to pick up their children who ran down the street to help.  In full costume. As Ancient Egyptians.  With make up.  It was awesome!! And so I ran down, also in full costume, to take pictures of them loading this boat back up in togas, headdresses, and eye makeup.

The day Joseph came to me and said, “Did anyone realize I need a wife for the skit today??”  Ummm, nooo. Me: “Hi!� I will be your wife today. Let’s go!”  And so I was Joseph’s wife for the rest of the week.  Which freaked out some of the kids, such as my own, who know me and know that I am not married to Joseph, who was my sister-in-law’s brother!  My nephew Will kept complaining about all the lies!  LOL

We participated in Operation Kid-to-Kid by making blankets to send to Africa.  We made five.  Each child held a felt heart and said a prayer for the children that would receive our blankets so that at night they would be wrapped in God’s love and our prayers.  They were too sweet and I kept taking pictures of them holding the hearts and praying!

My favorite was how well the youth and young adults came together to really pitch in and make this year a success.  There was not a time that they failed to do something.  I would turn around to find someone standing there with a bottle of water asking what they could do for me.  No matter what it was I asked them to do, they did cheerfully.  And they are the best.

And that is my VBS in a nutshell.  The pictures are all on Facebook.  And there are some pretty good ones.  I didn’t take many, but the youth sure did with my camera!

No comments:

Post a Comment