Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Hugs, not Drugs!

Most of my past weekend was a blur.  Not the "I-just-had-so-much-fun" kind, but the kind that happens after a hazy, sick in bed weekend of pain.  As the fog is slowly lifting, and as I talk to my family, I realize not only how lucky I am, and how blessed that both Micah and I are doing fine, but I also realize why I am a no meds person.

I never take medicine.  I do not like that fuzzy head feeling, the common side effects, or the fact that I am not a normal side effects kind of person.  I am the kind of person that has rare, startling, or bizarre side effects of medicine.  I use more natural remedies because of this.  Upset tummy?  Fresh mint tea.  Headache?  Peppermint essential oil.  Toothache?  Clove oil.  I use a Neti Pot for my sinuses, and have been so stuffy that I have tried inhaling crushed red pepper.  Once.

For this pregnancy I have had to take my vitamins, which I am OK with.  Plus calcium and baby aspirin to help control blood pressure.  And B6 for my morning sickness.  And then medicine for my thyroid.  I seriously could not keep it all straight!  After my hospital adventure last week I added high blood pressure medicine.  Enter the bizarre side effects.  The not your average side effects.  Dizziness, weakness, fatigue, leg cramps, etc.  Then began the chest pain and my second, and then third adventure to the ER.  In the same weekend.  In order to determine if my chest pain was caused by the pulled muscle, instead of having a CT scan while pregnant, I was given a pain pill.  If my muscle relaxed, I would have no pain and be able to catch my breath. 

About 30 minutes after taking the pill I was breathing normally.  My dad, relieved that I was going to be fine and knowing I was going to be released soon, left the hospital.  What transpired over the next couple of hours are only hazy memories and the laughing reflections of my husband.  Not long after my dad left the hospital I began crying because he is such a nice man.  When I was released, I insisted that I needed a hamburger.  Made at Sheetz.  By my brother Josh.  Who, coincidentally does make delicious hamburgers, but not at Sheetz, seeing as how he does not in fact work there.  I was still set on Sheetz, so I insisted that we stop, at which point I could not order my food because the touch screen was confusing me, got a quesadilla, and was confused as to why they were not charging for my cup of ice.  Which made me cry a little bit.  I did not know how to pay no money.

On the way home I ate and was sad because my food was not as good as Josh makes.  I wanted Tony to meet me at the restaurant he works at, now close to midnight, to make me a hamburger.  Then I decided to just stop at Wal Mart to get Josh a quesadilla maker.  And, because I can not get Josh such a lovely present without getting one for Tony too, I was planning on finding him a tiny Eskimo.  A tiny Eskimo that makes ice cream.  Complete with the fur coat.  I could picture it in my mind. 

Needless to say, Andy was driving.  We did not stop at Wal Mart.  I fell asleep on the way home.  I have no recollection of getting from the van to my bed.  I do have a bruise from teh adventure, on my ankle.  I woke up well rested, even with the return of the chest pain, and a lingering feeling that I needed to find an Eskimo.  Or at the very least have some ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment